Monday, 15 August 2011

A confronting piece of Citizen Journalism


I think one of the most powerful elements of citizen journalism is the footage that is captured by everyday people caught up in extra-ordinary situations. We read about tragedy in the news on a daily basis. In-fact, I think we quickly become significantly de-sensitised to it all. It’s not until we actually see real, on site footage that such tragic realities actually hit us. It used to be all about eye witness accounts. Now, with the help of technology these accounts are brought home in hard hitting way.



Today I read about a freak accident at an Indiana State Fair which killed five people. Now this isn’t even the greatest example in terms of scale of the issue, but it really hit home to me how reading about a story, no matter how well written, isn’t always enough to spur a reaction.



WARNING: This video is quite confronting.

No comments:

Post a Comment